I'm a bit miffed

...but not at you guys. How lovely! I have 64 Followers now! Yay! I will greet you individually, but not all in one go.
So, today, I say Hello and welcome to:
Elizabeth, Daphne, (Yes, Daphne, it is the Hairy Dieters' Book I'm using. I think it's very good!)Diana,  Becka at Girasole Farm, and Terri at Cache-Mire.

I'll also reply to your individual comments when I have a big long time to myself. I'm only popping in to be a bit grumpy. Let me tell you why, and you can tell me if I have a right to be grumpy.

We invited some people for dinner - we don't know them very well, but they're clients of Mr FD and we think there is the potential to be friends... We invited them last Tuesday (not the one just gone, but the one before) and A suggested this Friday (tomorrow). She wasn't sure if they were free, but said that they'd confirm. It is now today. They are due tomorrow. They have not confirmed. Mr FD phoned yesterday, and left a message, but there has still been no reply...

I had planned on roasting the fore-rib of beef that we have in the freezer, but it's too late to defrost that now. I've planned a salad to start, with ingredients that I can use elsewhere, should they not come - it's a River Cottage recipe : Warm salad of roasted squash and mushrooms

For dessert, I'd planned Banoffi pie - We can eat the biscuits planned for the base, I've boiled the condensed milk in its tin, but it can stay as caramel indefinitely, and we'll eat the bananas. Luckily, IF they do decide to come I have a bit of time tomorrow to assemble the dessert, as some of the English courses I've een booked to start now won't start till next week.

But I've still got to consider main course. Roast beef is off. I'm thinking a slow cooker thing that I can put on in the morning and leave to do its stuff. If they don't come I can freeze the extra portions. But what?...Excuse me, I'm off to do a bit of research.

Talk amongst yourselves.

OK, I think I've decided to go with Chicken and red wine casserole with herby dumplings. The only problem may be finding redcurrant jelly, but I hope I'll be able to find an appropriate substitute in the supermarket. I have a bit of time to go shopping between my physio and my appointment at the dermotologist this evening.

So, that's all (kind of) sorted. Mind you, I won't have much time to do cleaning - but I think they'll just have to lump that. A quick zizz round with the vacuum cleaner between lessons, I think!

But tell me, do you think I have a right to be grumpy, or not?
Edited to add: C. texted Mr FD yesterday to apologise and to say that they'd been away. They're not coming on Friday (today) but tomorrow. Which gives me a bit more time to prepare. And redcurrant jelly was dead easy to find - I just had to look in the jams section, rather than the condiments section of the supermarket.
Thank you for all your messages/ comments. I hope the food is as delicious as you all think it's going to be....as my friend pointed out to me in tones of horror, when I told her that C & A were coming for a meal: "But he's a chef!!!!"

Comments

  1. Your food sounds delicious! They'll certainly be missing out on a good meal if they don't turn up!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are rather inconsiderate, although in this same position I find myself going from "HMPH!" to "Maybe they're ill, maybe someone's died" so that I know I'll feel dreadful if disaster has struck and I was snotty with them. And then usually it is lack of consideration! Anyway; you could use cranberry jelly instead of redcurrant; especially as it's chicken; cranberry jelly seems to be sold off cheap at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a yummy sounding spread they are passing up! If it was me I'd be there twice lol x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Afternoon to you, Well, my first thought was "how rude" and what bad manners.
    When you cook a meal for someone, a lot of love and attention goes into making the dish, but.... on the other hand, maybe there is a problem and they are not able to let you know.....let's give them the benefit of the doubt.
    If I hear a rant and a rave which travels across the Channel, up through the South, through the Midlands and into the North of England, then I know it will be because of their bad manners and they did not let you know of their plans.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  5. How rude. Sniff and harumph. Can't BELIEVE anyone would pass up your lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manners maketh man! If people are lacking in manners I wouldn't want them as friends anyway.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'd come and eat any and all of that! However, I have flu, and possibly your invitees are in the same boat - really, they should let you know, whatever, but perhaps events that we can't imagine have overtaken them...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they should let you know what is happening - especially as they changed the originally suggested date. You could find yourselves eating up that lovely menu for two or three days in a row.

    Hoping they are not going through a major crisis - but one would have hoped for some sort of explanantion.

    DO keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, if they don't show up, I will! Sounds wonderful! But yes, you do have a right to be a bit grumpy.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so nice and generous to entertain dinner guests. I hope they come for their sake! They'll be missing out on all kinds of yummy food if they don't !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts