Monday, 2 September 2013

CHOCKLIT!

I'm on a fast day, but - for some reason - found myself on the Hotel Chocolat website.


There are many, many things to drool over. Here is just one: a recipe for  
CHOCOLATE BAKEWELL TART

Ingredients
  • Chocolate Pastry:
  • 270g plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
  • 30g Cocoa Powder, sifted
  • 125g unsalted butter
  • 30g sugar
  • 1 egg, plus 1 extra, beaten, to glaze
  • 2 tbsp milk (if needed)
  • Filling:
  • 225g unsalted butter, softened
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 225g ground almonds
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 50g plain flour, sifted
  • Half a vanilla pod, split in half lengthways and seeds scraped out
  • 2 tbsp golden rum
  • 130g Milk Chocolate Drops
  • 5 tbsp cherry jam
  • Flaked almonds, for sprinkling

  • To make the chocolate pastry, put the flour, cocoa powder, butter, sugar and egg into a food processor and pulse until combined. If necessary, add a little milk to help bring the mixture together.
  • Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and roll out until large enough to line a 26cm tart tin or you could make individual tarts. Press the pastry into the tin, trim the top, then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
  • Line the pastry with greaseproof paper weighed down with baking beans or rice. Bake for 15-20 minutes until almost cooked at the sides.
  • Remove the paper and beans and brush the pastry all over with beaten egg. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until golden-brown. Remove from the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
  • To make the filling, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Mix in the ground almonds then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition – don’t worry if the mixture begins to split.
  • Fold in the flour and mix well. Fold in the vanilla seeds, rum and milk chocolate drops and mix until combined.
  • Spread the jam over the base of the pastry case, leaving a 2.5cm gap around the edge. Spoon the filling mixture over the jam and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until set and golden-brown. Allow to cool in the tin before turning out and serving.
 Excuse me while I just go and hide in a corner and whimper...*

I was at the Canterbury branch of Hotel Chocolat recently, buying for birthdays. I bought three different things for Cathy: Chilli truffles, Kir Royale truffles and Raspberry-and-thyme truffles. I also bought something for Mr FD's birthday, but as he reads this, I won't spoil the surprise. I'll show you tomorrow (if I have time between lessons, making samosas and onion bhajis and icing his birthday cake!)

*Actually, this is a lie. I haven't eaten anything all day (except one dried apricot) and I'm just starting to feel like I'd like something to eat. I'm not whimpering at all!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That recipe looks way, way, way, way too good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me again.
    I talked about these chocolate tarts that I'll try soon, ...they really look delicious to me. Yum!
    Oh no, I do not know all of the French language because it is not my native language, but I can to reassure you that your French is excellent.
    I learned this language when I came into the country, there are more than 30 years now. I'm German but I also can read English, I write it a little less well, and for talking, .....I manage with simlpe words.
    Wish you a nice day ...
    Friendly greetings Rosi

    ReplyDelete